A big NO again…
You will remember the saga of 23 Rodier Street. If not click here for all the background. Here is an update from Rodier team leader Ron.
UPDATE FROM RODIER STREET:
The Council voted unanimously at Wednesday night’s Meeting (26/03/14) to reject the 14 Unit Proposal at 23 Rodier St. – yet again! They adopted the recommendation by Council Officers to reject the 14 Unit Revised Proposal on the “not keeping in with the neighbourhood character grounds”; and also for the continued risk to flooding of the site. Flooding is beginning to assume greater importance in this matter; as exemplified from the excerpt following taken from my Presentation of Wednesday night:
“The risk of flooding to this low lying area of land is real. The Corangamite Catchment Management Authority (CCMA) on p 55 of the Background Report for this Agenda Item stated: An unequivocal and damning warning not to build densely there.”
Five people presented against the Revised Plan and urged Council to adopt their planning officer’s recommendation. They were well researched, cogent and capably expressed to Council and those gathered in the Chamber.
As you might expect, we were chuffed by the Decision of Council to reject this revised 14 Unit Proposal. This development is anathema to the Heritage in Rodier St and surrounds. Perhaps this does draw that line in the sand for Council to mark, which we was hoping for? This is a terrific victory for the nearby residents who would be effected by this Proposal; and is encouragement for ordinary citizens to object to these sorts of proposals in the future.
The Developer also made a submission on the night, suggesting Council approve the Building Permit with conditions. It is clear that more background work is needed (certainly in respect to flooding and cultural heritage) before any plans should be drawn up and considered.
There still exists an overwhelming impression one gets, that the Developers feel they can ignore the contents of the VCAT Decision.
The Developer has the right to take the matter to VCAT again and we wait to see if they will. Perhaps common sense will prevail and we might see them resubmit a building & design response that is sympathetic to the character of the neighbourhood; and mindful of the potential for flooding on the site. One can hope.