People for Pryor Park
500m metres above sea level (one of the highest points in Ballarat).
Pryor Park is positioned between Mount Xavier golf course and Eureka street.
Pryor Park was supposedly named after Ballarat Mayor Joseph Pryor.
It has been a park since 1931 and was a pine plantation. In 1990 the pines were cleared and the Pryor Park community group re-planted it with native trees and grasses.
Jonathan Robinson’s Pryor Park Management Plan 2011
Over the years the Park has created a lot of positive community interest and comments. This management plan comes from a University of Ballarat student in Diploma of Ornamental Horticulture. We as members of People for Pryor Park would like to recommend this plan as a thorough overview of th Park and an inspiration for more activity on the Park.
Click here to download a copy in PDF. Jonathan Robinson’s Pryor Park Management Plan 2011
1931 The Park has been used for public purposes as a pine plantation.
1934 Park was rezoned for public recreation and tree planting.
1957 The mt xavier golf club leased 16.6 acres of the Park and the lease remains today.
1990 the pine trees along Eureka st were removed after a hailstorm damaged the trees.
1991 People for Pryor Park formed and put forward a joint proposal to council with Mt Xavier Golf Club to keep the park and to vegetate it with local native plants to keep the wildlife corridor that runs North South around Ballarat.
1992 Over 4000 native trees and shrubs have been planted by local residents, school groups and even one wedding group. The residents group have held regular working bees in Spring and Autumn to maintain the plantings and park. Tasks include weed removal, rubbish removal,bag and stake removal and weed mat removal. Signage for wildflowers and maintenance of the notice board and seats. Mowing and brush cutting around signs. Other activities have been wildflower walks and community design days.
For more information contact:
Maggie Dannatt and John Kerr