The City of Balalrat, Community Engagement are hosting an exciting
Walkability Conference ‘Improving walkability: one step at a time’
Thursday 16th October at M.A D.E from 12.30-4.30pm.
We have been fortunate in securing renowned Keynote Speakers
- Dr Ben Rossiter, Executive Officer Victoria Walks; and
- Dr Jan Garrard, Deakin, School of Health and Social Development, Deakin University.
Ben and Jan will be focusing on recent research, policy and best practice including:
- Creating communities for children and parents;
- The impact of the urban environment on physical activity;
- Seniors and walking: obstacles and opportunities;
- How walking is good for business, the economic benefits of walking; and
- Examples of walking best practice and policy
Our Keynote Speakers will be joined by speed Case Study presentations from walking advocates from the City of Boroondara, La Trobe University, City of Greater Geelong and City of Ballarat.
- Network planning for walking;
- Mapping walkability ti improve physical and mental health, save money and improve the environment;
- Managing barrier to participation in school based walking programs; and
- Developing walking environments in urban growth areas.
We have had a wonderful response to the Conference so far and places are filling, so we ask that you to distribute the attached flyer and promote the Walkability Conference to your external networks. In particular your community based networks so that our much valued members of the community don’t miss the opportunity to be part of this exciting event.
Amanda Collins | Community Safety and Wellbeing Officer
City of Ballarat | PO Box 655, Ballarat, Victoria, 3353
Download the flyer here: Walkability Conference